Getting an Alberta Marriage License

Alberta Legislature Wedding Photography Session, School of Retailing, University of Alberta, Mai Makeup, Leanna Achen, Rosewood Styling, Darion Getzinger Lindsey Parkin, Edmonton, Edmonton Photographer, Edmonton Wedding Photographer, YEG Photographer, Alberta Marriage License


Luckily, there are only a few steps to getting an Alberta marriage license. Start by finding your local Alberta registry agent office. Both of you will need to go to the office with your identification within three months of your wedding date. Each of you needs one valid piece of government-issued photo ID, such a driver’s license or passport. If you have been married before, you will need to take your proof of divorce, annulment, or the death certificate of a deceased spouse. The government fee is $40 and the registry agent will charge a service fee. You should expect to pay between $75 and $100 for an Alberta marriage license.

The registry agent will give you a two-part form with includes the Registration of Marriage and a marriage license. The paperwork must be in good condition to be considered valid, so take a folder with you to put it in. Once you’ve filled it all out, you will give it to your officiant. Speak to them beforehand to find out if they would like it brought on the day of your wedding or at a pre-wedding meeting. An officiant is required to complete the legal marriage.

On your wedding day, you and your spouse, your officiant and two witnesses will sign the Registration of Marriage and your officiant will give you a proof of marriage document. Your officiant will keep your license and submit your registration document within two days of the ceremony for it to be archived with Alberta Vital Statistics.

You can apply for your official marriage certificate approximately three weeks after your ceremony. To apply, fill out the application form and take it to a registry agent (expect to pay around $50 for the application). Certificates are usually mailed to you 2-3 days after a registry agent processes the application.

Planning a wedding?

Find more about wedding photography.